Please vote no on the October 7 bond referendum
The school board is asking you to vote yes or no on a bond referendum that includes various facility infrastructure improvements, installation of natural grass on East Field, a new track and installation of an artificial turf athletic field. VOTE NO. Let the School Board know that you want a new bond.
Irvington wisely voted NO to artificial turf in 2006 and 2008. Artificial turf is harmful to health, safety and the environment. Let’s support our student athletes with well-maintained natural grass athletic fields and a better plan.
What is the proposed artificial turf?
- 25 tons of artificial plastic grass carpet
- Millions of plastic grass blades held up by 2-3 inches of ground cork and/or coconut shells
- Excessively hot – recently measured at 30 degrees above air temperature
- Produces 45% more strain in knee ligaments than grass
- Expensive! Administration estimates $1.4 million; real cost closer to $3M
- 15-year bond/8-year warranty
- Cannot withstand overuse
- Extensive maintenance requirements including provision of "Certified crews"
- Warranty void at manufacturer's discretion
- Cannot be recycled - no GeoTurf field has ever been recycled, & plastic is forever